It’s easy to see and remember other’s 2016 accomplishments.
Not so simple to recollect your own.
So, right now, let’s take time out to reflect on the year.
Take a breath, here goes…
- What was I doing when I remembered that being an artist/maker/curator/arts manager was downright amazing. (Check!)
- What piece, process or moment did I personally love the most? (Check!)
- Who was I talking to when I realised, 'Here’s a practitioner who genuinely understands what I’m saying and experiencing?' (Check!)
- What new project, piece or technique did I actually start exploring? (Check!)
- Who did I meet whose work wasn’t necessarily my cup-of-tea but, by the end of the conversation, I related to, and I liked them and their art a whole lot more? (Check!)
- What things on that pain-in-the-backside ‘To Do’ list that’s meant to make me a professionally developed artist, were attempted? (Check!)
- Did I drag myself out of my studio and the usual places I go, and meet some new creatives? (Check!)
Here’s the thing.
You might not have noticed how many steps forward you made this year.
So, before it’s gone, take a few moments to acknowledge the ones you did.
Keep breathing life into the Arts. You matter.
Photo : Faustin Tuyambaze